Herbert: I gave the letter you wrote to a girl.
赫伯特:我把你写的那封信拿给一个女孩子。
Don: Did it work?
唐: 有没有用?
Herbert: I was 1) shaking when I gave it to her.
赫伯特:我拿信给她的时候在发抖。
Don: So what did she say?
唐: 她怎么说?
Herbert: She laughed and then showed it to all my 2) colleagues.
赫伯特:她大笑,然后把信拿给所有同事看。
Don: So what happened?
唐: 然后呢?
Herbert: They said, "how could a geek like Herbert write something like that?" …… I think I need a beer.
赫伯特: 他们说“赫伯特这个只懂电脑的怪人,哪能写出这种东西来?”…… 我想我需要啤酒。
Don: Sorry I 3) got you into this mess, Herb.
唐: 对不起,我害你弄得一团糟,赫伯特。
语言详解
A: Why did you quit your job?
你怎么把工作辞了?
B: Basically, I didn't like my colleagues.
基本上是我不喜欢同事。
「work 起作用,可行的」
work作名词用时是表示“工作”的意思,在这里则是作动词用,表示“可行的/有用的”之意,如:Did it work?(有没有用?/有用吗?),如果是It works!,它可以用在事物发挥了它的作用时,是个又短又好用的小句子,例如:
A: Does this tie look OK with this suit?
这条领带配这西装好看吗?
B: Yeah, it works.
嗯,它蛮配的。
也可以说某事进行得符合预期,很顺利:
A: Did your plan work out?
你的计划顺利吗?
B: It worked.
它成功了。
1) shake (v.) 发抖
2) colleague (n.) 同事
3) get…… into the mess 让……陷入混战